This article describes the Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat server issues that are fixed in the update package for Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat server that is dated March, 2011.
This article describes the following items about the update package:
- The issues that the update package fixes.
- The prerequisites for installing the update
- Whether you must restart the computer after you install
the update package.
- Whether the update package is replaced by any other
- Whether you must make any registry changes.
- The files that the update package contains.
Issues that this hotfix package fixes
This update package fixes the following issues:
The time of received messages is incorrect in a Group Chat client even if you correct the time on an Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat server
The message time is incorrect in a Group Chat client when a time skew exists between the Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat server and the Group Chat database
Options in the “Show Columns” submenu is inconsistent between different sessions in an Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat client
You cannot disable emoticons in chat rooms that are hosted on an Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat server
Event ID 5377 is logged on an Office Communications Server 2007 R2, Group Chat server
This update package also fixes the issues that are previously documented in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
An Invalid Chat Room URI exception is generated in an Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server SDK-based application
Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server takes a long time to process changes
Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server cannot log some PART or JOIN events if an abnormal drop from Group Chat Server occurs
Active Directory processing changes takes a long time on an Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server
A synchronization operation between the Active Directory directory service and Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server fails
Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server does not apply the correct group membership for some users
A compliance server reports incomplete or inaccurate information about user JOIN and PART events in Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server
You may experience performance issues on a channel server in Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Channel Server
The Group Chat service does not work after you restart a computer that is running Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server
Users in a secured organizational unit (OU) named "Blocking Inheritance" cannot use the Group Chat Admin Tool
A compliance XML output file is not generated by a compliance server in Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Server
Update package information
following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download
MgcServer.msp package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Release Date: March 2011
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Please make sure that the following services are running before
you install the update:
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat server - Lookup service / Channel service
- Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat Compliance server - Compliance service
You may have to restart the computer after you apply this
This update of build 3.5.6907.225 is an update build that replaced previously-released build 3.5.6907.206 of July 2010.
To use one of the updates in
this package, you do not have to make any changes to the
Update package installation information Install this update to Office Communications Server R2 Group Chat server
Workaround on how to add a new server into an existing pool after you install this update
- Make sure that the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat features are installed, configured and functioning correctly. Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat servers include Channel server, Lookup server and Compliance server.
- Stop the Channel service and stop the Lookup service that are currently running.
- Apply this update by running MgcServer.msp on all the computers that have the Group Chat server role installed.
- On the Group Chat server, open the Server Config Tool as follows:
- Start menu: All Programs, Administrative Tools, Server Config Tool
- File location: <driver letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Group Chat Server\ServerConfigTool.exe.
- Click Yes when you receive the following message, and the Server Config Tool upgrades the existing Group Chat database schema. Additionally, the Server Config Tool changes the server's configuration files to reflect these changes.
Note You must shut down all Group Chat servers before you perform this upgrade.
- Restart the Channel service, the Lookup service and then restart the Compliance server.
Only the MSI update files (.msp files) without a complete installer are released in the update package. After you upgraded all Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat servers to this update, follow these steps to add another Group Chat server into the existing pool:
- Set up Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat server (Channel server and Lookup server) on a new database by using the same service accounts as the existing pool.
- Upgrade to the new Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat installation.
- Stop both the Channel service and the Lookup service.
- Run the following command to reconfigure the new servers
to point to the Group Chat database pool.
<driver letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Group Chat Server\ServerConfigTool.exe /i
All Services start automatically after the servers are
After you apply this update, it cannot be uninstalled. If you uninstall this update, the Channel service and the Lookup service will not start. The following error is logged in the event log:
Event ID 6407
Description : The Server is not compatible with
the database at
This update package may not contain all the
files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build. This
update package contains only the files that you must have to resolve the issues
that are listed in this article.
This update may not contain
all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
This update contains only the files that you must have to resolve the issues
that are listed in this article.
global version of this update package uses a Microsoft Windows Installer
package to install the update package. The dates and the times for these files
are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) in the following table. When you
view the file information, the date is converted to local time. To find the
difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
in the Date and Time item in Control
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform|
For more information about
software update terminology, click the following article number to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 2491973 - Last Review: March 10, 2011 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat server
|kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbfix kbhotfixrollup kbsurveynew kbexpertiseadvanced atdownload KB2491973|