Sending email error "Authentication failed. Error 17897" in Outlook 2011 for Mac
When trying to send an email in Outlook 2011 for Mac, you may receive the following error:
Authentication failed because Outlook doesn't support any of the available authentication methods.
Error Code -17897
Error Code -17897
To resolve this issue, follow these Methods.
Method 1: Verify your Account settings
For information on how to setup your Account or view your account settins, see the following Microsoft Knoweldge Base article:
2352963 Set up or recover Hotmail, Gmail, or AOL (POP or IMAP) email in Outlook for Mac 2011
Note: Review images located in the article 235963 to make sure it matches your settings.
Method 2: Toggle Authentication off or on
To do this, follow these steps:
- Launch Outlook.
- Click Tools select Accounts.
- Select your email account.
- Click the More Options button under the Outgoing Server and trying the following configurations:
- If the Authentication drop down box is set to None, click the drop down arrow and click Use Incoming Server Info and click OK.
- If the Authentication is set to Use Incoming Server Info then click on the down arrow and click None and click OK.
- If you are using a different provider for incoming as they are for outgoing mail then you will need to select “User Name and Password” next to Authentication and enter your username and password for the outgoing mail server. Click OK when done.
If the issue continues to occur, change your SMTP port.
Method 3: Change your SMTP portTo do this follow these steps:
- Start Outlook.
- Click Tools then select Accounts.
- Select your account.
- Click to select Override default port box under the Outgoing server.
- In the port box, type 587.
- Click to select Use SSL to connect (recommended) box.
- Close Accounts window.
- Open your Outbox folder and delete all messages then try sending a test email to yourself or other.
Article ID: 2492901 - Last Review: 06/22/2014 10:53:00 - Revision: 5.0
Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011
- dftsdahomeportal KB2492901