WD2000: Word Document in Frame in Internet Explorer Freezes After Editing
This article was previously published under Q250394
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you embed a Word document in a frame in Internet Explorer 5 and also have an instance of Word open, and then you switch between the document in the frame and the standalone Word session, you cannot edit the document in the frame. Any unsaved changes made to the document in the current editing session, before the problem occurred, are lost.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Office 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in theMicrosoft Knowledge Base:
276367 OFF2000: How to Obtain the Latest Office 2000 Service Pack
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Office 2000 Service Pack 2.
Steps to Reproduce Problem
- Create a Word document with some sample text, and save it as C:\test.doc.
- Create an HTML file with some sample text, and save it as C:\top.htm.
- Create another HTML file named C:\frame.htm with the following HTML code:
<HTML><FRAMESET ROWS="50, *">; <FRAME Name="top" SRC="c:\top.htm"> <FRAME Name="bot" SRC="c:\test.doc"><FRAMESET></HTML>
- Start an instance of Word 2000, and open a document.
- In Internet Explorer 5, navigate to the file Frame.htm that was created in step 3. Click Open if you are prompted to open Word for the Test.doc file. Note that you can edit the document now.
- Switch to the other instance of Word (stand-alone instance).
- Now switch back to the Word instance in Internet Explorer by clicking on the document in the Internet Explorer frame.
Result: You can no longer edit the document in Internet Explorer.
Article ID: 250394 - Last Review: 02/28/2014 00:30:18 - Revision: 1.1
Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbfix kboffice2000sp2fix kbqfe KB250394