"Cannot open this item" error message in Outlook online mode in an Exchange Server 2007 environment
Consider the following scenario:
- You set the Exchange Auditing logging level on a Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 server to a value other than Lowest. For example, you set the Exchange Auditing logging level to Low, or to High.
- You try to open an email message that does not have the PR_INTERNET_MESSAGE_ID property set by using Microsoft Office Outlook in online mode.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
Cannot open this item.
- You cannot open the same email message by using a MAPI application, such as Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Editor (MFCMAPI).
- This issue usually occurs when you try to open an archived email message.
This issue occurs because the Store.exe process incorrectly returns the "MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND" error when it audits the email message.
To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
Description of Update Rollup 4 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 3
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about how to change Exchange Auditing logging levels, visit the following Microsoft website:
For more information about the mailbox Access Auditing, visit the following Microsoft website:
For more information about MFCMAPI, visit the following Microsoft website:
Article ID: 2507374 - Last Review: 07/07/2011 14:31:00 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 3
- kbqfe kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter kbhotfixrollup KB2507374