"The Security Center service can't be started" error message in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista
- Security Center is not configured to start correctly.
- The "log on user" for Security Center is configured incorrectly.
- A malware infection is preventing the service from starting or is disabling the service after it has started.
Method 1: Make sure that Security Center is configured correctly
- Press Win + R keyboard shortcut, type services.msc, and then press ENTER.
- If you are prompted for confirmation, click Yes.
- Double-click Security Center.
- Click the General tab, select Automatic (delayed start) from the Startup type list, click Start, and then click OK.
- Now check whether Security Center can be started. If not, start the Remote Procedure Call(RPC) and Windows Management Instrumentation services by using the steps provided above.
Method 2: Start computer in safe mode
- Restart your computer, press F8 before the Windows logo appears.
For more information about how to start a computer in safe mode, visit the following Mirosoft website:
- Use the steps in Method 1 to start the Security Center service. If the service can be started, perform a clean startup to troubleshoot the conflicting program services. For more information about how to do this, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:929135 How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
Send us feedback
Article ID: 2510301 - Last Review: 05/26/2014 11:04:00 - Revision: 3.2
- kbinfo kbhowto kbstepbystep kbexpertisebeginner KB2510301