Consider the following scenario:
• You have a failover cluster that is running Windows Server 2008
• You have a large amount of files under the root folder of the cluster shared disk. For example, several thousand files.
• You try to bring the disk online
In this scenario, the disk fails to come online and shows a status of Online Pending.
The issue occurs because the cluster resource dll (clusres.dll) tries to open every file under the root folder of the cluster disk during the cluster disk online process. If there are too many files, the online process will time out and the disk resource will fail to come online.
To work around the issue:
1. Do not store large amounts of files in the root folder.
2. Set the Physical Disk private property DiskRunChkDsk to a property of 4 (ChkDskDontRun). This will disable volume mount checks. To do this, run the following command:
Cluster <ClusterName> /Res <Resource Name> /Priv DiskRunCHKDSK=4
Article ID: 2517696 - Last Review: 05/03/2011 16:54:00 - Revision: 2.0