How to troubleshoot issues with Lync Online instant messaging and presence in Office 365 Dedicated
- Users appear to be offline in Lync 2010.
- You cannot search the global address list (GAL) by using Lync 2010.
- You cannot view federated (external) contacts or establish a connection with these contacts.
- Lync Online contacts are lost or missing. Or, the contact list is not updated.
- The contact appears offline and has not been blocked by the user in the user's contacts list.
- When you add a new public Internet contact (PIC) or federated (external) contact to your list, that contact will appear to be offline if that contact ignores the request to add you to their list.
- You cannot connect to the Address Book web service.
Scenario 1: Users appear to be offline in Lync 2010Contacts may appear to be offline for several reasons. You must verify the following conditions before you perform additional troubleshooting steps:
- Verify that the contact has not been blocked by the user in the user's contacts list.
- In the main Lync 2010 window, select Relationship.
- Expand the Blocked Contacts group, and then verify that the offline contact is not blocked.
Note If a contact blocks you, the contact is displayed as Offline in your contact list.
Scenario 2: You cannot search the global address list (GAL) by using Lync 2010When you try to search the GAL by using Lync 2010, you receive the following error message:
Try to verify that connectivity to the Address Book web service is available. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the notification area, locate the Lync 2010 icon, hold down the CTRL key, right-click the Lync 2010 icon, and then click Configuration Information.
- Copy the URL from the GAL Status field.
- Start Internet Explorer, and then paste the URL in the address bar.
- The message that you receive from Internet Explorer indicates whether the URL can be accessed from the computer:
- Successful: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. The connection is successful, but because there is no HTML page to display, Internet Explorer cannot display the page.
- Unsuccessful: The webpage cannot be found. If the URL is inaccessible from the system, Internet Explorer reports that the location cannot be found or is inaccessible.
Scenario 3: Lync Online contacts are lost or missing, or the contact list is not updatedIn rare cases, the contact list may be corrupted because of an invalid character in an OOF message or because of a lingering deprovisioned contact. Updating the contact list helps make sure that everything is synchronized. To force a contact list update, follow these steps:
- Completely exit the Lync application.
- Locate one of the following folders, depending on your operating system:
- Windows 8, 7 or Windows Vista:
- Lync 2010: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<sign-in name>
- Lync 2013: %userprofile%\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\sip_<sign-in name>
- Windows XP: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data \Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<sign-in name>
- Windows 8, 7 or Windows Vista:
- Delete the following files:
- ABS_<sign-in name>.cache
- Restart Lync 2010, and then wait for resynchronization to finish. This should take about 30 minutes.
Article ID: 2519184 - Last Review: 12/26/2014 22:05:00 - Revision: 13.0
- vkbportal226 vkbportal107 KB2519184