Error Message: Fatal Error Problem Using UI Skins
This article was previously published under Q252900
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
If this article does not describe the error message that you are receiving, view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to view more articles that describe error messages:
Windows 98 and Windows Me Error Message Resource Center
When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message:
Fatal Error: Problem Using UI Skins
This issue can occur if you have a Macromedia Shockwave component installed in the Startup folder and the Shockwave files are missing or damaged.
To resolve this issue, try one of the following methods:
Reinstall Macromedia Shockwave
Reinstall Shockwave to replace the missing or damaged files. For information about how to reinstall Shockwave, please contact Macromedia.
Remove Shockwave components
Remove the Macromedia Shockwave component from the startup folder, to do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Click the Startup tab, click to clear the Shockwave boxes, and then click OK.
- When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
For additional troubleshooting and information about Macromedia Shockwave, please click the following link to view the Macromedia Web site:
When you install Shockwave, several files and folders are added to the following folder:
shock wave user interface skins
Article ID: 252900 - Last Review: 01/10/2015 03:37:04 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kb3rdparty kbenv kberrmsg kbfatalexerr0d kbfatalexerr0e kbprb KB252900