FIX: Smsvchost.exe may crash when the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service is used by a .NET Framework 4-based WCF service
Consider the following scenario:
- You enable the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service, and you start the Smsvchost.exe process on a computer.
- You run a Microsoft .NET Framework 4-based Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) service that uses the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service.
- Garbage collection occurs frequently.
In this scenario, a System.ExecutionEngineException exception may occur. When this exception occurs, the Smsvchost.exe process crashes.
This issue occurs because the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service incorrectly pins shared objects by using the garbage collector.
To resolve this issue, apply hotfix 2504602 that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article.
For more information, click the following article number 2504602 to view the article 2504602 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
A hotfix rollup package is available for WCF in the .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and in the .NET Framework 4
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 2536401 - Last Review: 04/25/2011 09:50:00 - Revision: 2.0
- Windows Communication Foundation 4
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew kbqfe kbfix KB2536401