How to upgrade from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
For a Microsoft Outlook 2002 version of this article, see 291602.
For more information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 Differences between Outlook and Outlook Express
This article describes how to upgrade from Microsoft Outlook Express to Outlook 2000. This includes how to import e-mail account settings and how to set Microsoft Outlook 2000 as your default e-mail program.
Import e-mail account settings
- On the File menu in Outlook 2000, click Import and Export.
- In the Choose an action to perform list, click Import Internet Mail Account Settings, and then click Next.
- In the Select the e-mail client to import list, click Microsoft Outlook Express, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the name that is displayed is the name that you want to use, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the e-mail address is correct, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the incoming and outgoing e-mail servers are correct, and then click Next.
- Make sure that the account name and password are correct, and then click Next.
Note If you are using Microsoft Network (MSN), the Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box must be selected.
- Click the method that you use to connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
- Click Finish to import your e-mail account settings.
Set Outlook 2000 as the default e-mail client
- Exit Outlook.
- Click Start, click Control Panel.
- Double-click Internet Options.
- On the Programs tab, click Microsoft Outlook in the E-mail list, and then click OK to save the changes.
For more information about transitioning from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
196215 How to import addresses from Outlook Express to Outlook
195798 Outlook Newsreader shortcut not in Start menu
203278 E-mail programs that Outlook 2000 will upgrade
218317 Group details from Outlook Express contact not imported
222265 Outlook Express rules not imported after Outlook upgrade
223950 Inbox Assistant rules imported from Outlook Express are not activated
223957 Internet Mail and News not detected on first run
224866 Outlook Express 5 mail doesn't import
224876 Error message: an OLE registration error occurred
230076 Outlook 2000 requires Outlook Express
249670 WAB contact folders from Outlook Express are not imported
OL2K Olexpress OE
Article ID: 254216 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 18:39:34 - Revision: 5.0
Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo kbexpertisebeginner kbupgrade kbhowto KB254216