When you uninstall Message Queuing (MSMQ), some MSMQ objects may not be removed from the Active Directory (AD). There are two scenarios in which this behavior may occur:
- When the Active Directory (AD) pathname of one of the computer's queue objects contains any special characters, including
- When the MSMQ client is installed on a Microsoft Windows 9x computer by a Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 domain user, or when MSMQ is installed on a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation or Server that is a member of an NT 4.0 domain and the client does not have any queue objects in the AD at the time of uninstall. This scenario may result in the following error message during the uninstall process:
Unable to delete the computer object from the remote information server
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
There are several ways to resolve this problem:
- If the cause of the error was due to special characters in one of the queue names for a Microsoft Windows 2000 computer object, manually remove the MSMQ objects from the Active Directory.
If the cause of the error was due to an uninstall from a Windows 9x or NT 4.0 computer, and you will not be reinstalling MSMQ on a Windows 9x or NT 4.0 computer of the same name, manually remove the MSMQ objects from the Active Directory.
If the cause of the error was due to an uninstall from a Windows 9x or NT4 computer, and you will be reinstalling MSMQ on that computer or a computer with an identical name, you do not need to remove the computer object.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 1.
For additional information, see the following Windows 2000 Help entries:
- "Remove Message Queueing Objects From Active Directory"
- "Message Queuing Objects in Active Directory"
- "Uninstalling Message Queuing"
Article ID: 254284 - Last Review: February 28, 2014 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Message Queuing 2.0
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbfix kbmsmq200fix KB254284|