SHORTCUT.EXE Does Not Accept Pathnames In Command Line
If you use the command line to direct SHORTCUT.EXE to a .LNK file within the directory structure, such as the following command from the command prompt:
SHORTCUT -S C:\DIR1\DIR2\SHCUT.LNK
SHORTCUT.EXE may return an error message similar to the following:
Error: Unable to find C:\DIR1\SHCUT.LNK
SHORTCUT.EXE does not correctly interpret path names when the -S switch is used.
Change to the directory containing the .LNK file before executing SHORTCUT.EXE.
Microsoft Press has confirmed this to be a problem in the books listed at the beginning of this article.We are researching this problem and will post new information as soonas it becomes available.
Steps to Reproduce the Behavior
- Create a valid .LNK file as C:\DIR1\DIR2\SHCUT.LNK.
- From the C:\ prompt, type SHORTCUT -S C:\DIR1\DIR2\SHCUT.LNK.
The following error message will be displayed:Error: unable to find C:\DIR1\SHCUT.LNK
- From the C:\ prompt, type SHORTCUT -S \DIR1\DIR2\SHCUT.LNK.
The following error message will be displayed:Error: unable to find \DIR1\DIR2\SHCUT.LNK
- From the C:\ prompt, type CD \DIR1\DIR2.
- Type SHORTCUT -S SHCUT.LNK. No error will be displayed.
RKBOOK NT40 WIN95 RESKIT TOOLS RESOURCE KIT
Article ID: 254493 - Last Review: 06/19/2014 07:09:00 - Revision: 2.0
- kbprb KB254493