You receive an "Error opening installation log file" error message when you use /L in a command line to run Office 2000 Setup
This article was previously published under Q254880
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you run Setup for Microsoft Office, you may receive the following error message:
Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable.
This error message may occur when all of the following conditions are true:
- You are using Microsoft Windows 2000.
- You run Office Setup by typing a command line, similar to the following, that includes the /L switch:
f:\setup /L*V c:\verbose.txt
- You cancel Setup.
- You rerun Setup by typing the same command line.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer.
- Rerun Office Setup by typing the same command line with the /L switch.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
If you want to control logging options without having to use /L
on the command line, follow these steps:
- Double-click Setup.ini in the root directory of your Office CD.
This opens Setup.ini in Notepad.
- On the File menu, click Save As.
- Browse to the root directory of drive C, and then click Save.
- In the [Logging] section of the Setup.ini file, change the following line
Type=piwae to the following:
- On the File menu, click Save.
- On the File menu, click Exit.
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- In the Open box, type a command line similar to the following and then click OK:
CD-ROM drive:\Setup /Settings c:\setup.ini Note, CD-ROM drive is the drive letter for your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
For additional information about logging options for the Setup.ini file, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFF2000: How to Customize Office Setup Logging Options
Article ID: 254880 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 18:46:29 - Revision: 1.4
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbtshoot kbstartprogram kberrmsg kbbug kbsetup KB254880