BUG: Error 7356 from a Distributed Query
This article was previously published under Q255097
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
BUG #: 57407 (SQLBUG_70)
When you attempt to execute a distributed query, against a view on a remote linked server, the query fails with the following message:
Server: Msg 7356, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' supplied inconsistent metadata for a column. Metadata information was changed at execution time.
If you have trace flag 7300 enabled for extended OLE DB messages, you may also see something similar to the following (the object name may be different):
OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: Column 'derived' (compile-time ordinal 1) of object '"pubs"."dbo"."vwTest"' was reported to have a PRECISION of 2 at compile time and 3 at run time].
This problem occurs if:
- You are executing the query on one server against a view on a linked server.-and-
- The data type of the column is numeric or decimal.
To work around this problem, try either of the following:
- Change the data type of the column.-or-
- Create a view on the local server and then select from that view, instead of selecting from the view on the remote linked server.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in SQL Server 7.0.
Article ID: 255097 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 07:33:00 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug KB255097