Update Rollup 1 for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials is available. This article describes the new feature and some of the updates that are included in this update rollup.Important
This update rollup contains server-side fixes. In addition to this update package, you must also install the client-side package on all client computers. For more information about the client-side package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
The client-side package for Update Rollup 1 for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, for Windows Home Server 2011, and for Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials is available
Feature that is included in Update Rollup 1 for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials
This update adds an alert that reminds you to enable Microsoft Update. The alert appears after you install Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials and complete the "Getting Started" tasks on a computer. The alert displays the following message:
Microsoft Update is not enabled
Microsoft Update is not enabled on this computer. You will not be notified when updates for other Microsoft products are available
Resolve this alert
To enable Microsoft Update for this computer:
1. Open the server Dashboard.
2. On the Home page, click GETTING STARTED TASKS.
3. Click Get updates for other Microsoft products.
4. Follow the onscreen instructions.
Major issues that are resolved by this update
Consider the following scenario:
- You migrate some user accounts from an earlier version of Windows Small Business Server to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.
- You try to disable or delete one of the user accounts.
In this scenario, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
Cannot retrieve the user account information
An unknown error prevented the wizard from retrieving the user account information. If this problem persists, restart the server, and then try again.
- The migrated user account may also disappear from the dashboard unexpectedly. However, the user account is still listed in Active Directory. Additionally, the user account is still valid.
- For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
May be unable to modify some users and users may disappear from the SBS Essentials Dashboard
You cannot register a Remote Web Access domain name that contains two or more root domain levels (such as testuser.co.uk). Additionally, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
The domain name is not valid
This domain name is invalid. Ensure that the domain name and the extension are correct, and they try again.
In the Alert Viewer window, you select an alert, and then you click Ignore the alert
to stop receiving notifications for this alert. However, the notifications still appear.
Consider the following scenario:
- You have a server that is running Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.
- You change the current system time to a time that is earlier than the time at which you installed Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.
- You restart the server.
- You change the system time back to the original setting.
In this scenario, the machine certificate becomes invalid and cannot be recovered. Additionally, most of the Windows Server services do not start after the server restarts.
When the machine certificate is changed incorrectly or is removed, you are not prompted to take any troubleshooting measures. After you install this update, an automatic process tries to resolve this issue. If this issue cannot be resolved automatically, the dialog box prompts you with a link to a troubleshooting website. The website provides the latest solutions and updates for the kind of issue that you are experiencing.
A backslash (\) is displayed incorrectly in Korean or Japanese content.
"Connect site" is translated incorrectly in a non-English dashboard.
Some important non-English instructions or guides are truncated in a non-English dashboard or wizard.
How to obtain this update
To download this update, visit the following Microsoft website:
To install this update, you must be running Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.
To use the update in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
You may have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement information
This update does not replace a previously released update.
To remove this update, use the Add or Remove Programs
item in Control Panel. Additionally, you must uninstall the client-side package (KB2554637) from all client computers. Note
The new "Microsoft Update is not enabled" alert must be manually removed from all client computers.