Consider the following scenario:
- You have Windows 7 installed on a notebook computer.
- The notebook computer has an Intel Wireless LAN device that supports Intel’s My WiFi Technology (MWT).
- Within the Intel My Wifi Utility window, you select the Enable button.
- The computer enters sleep or hibernation.
- You wake the computer.
In this scenario, you may see the following status in the Intel My WiFi Utility window: Disabled because the Hardware Radio Switch is Off. Turn on the hardware radio switch to enable Intel My WiFi Technology on your computer.
In addition, the Enable button is either not present or does not function. The expected behavior is that the Enable button should be available and functional within the application.
The above scenario may occur when the power management option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
” has been disabled for the Intel Wireless LAN device.
You can work around this issue by using either of the two steps below:
- Enable the power management option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” for the Intel Wireless LAN device using the following steps:
- Click on the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Select System and Security.
- Select Device Manager under System.
- Select and expand the Network adapters from the list of devices.
- Find the Intel Wireless LAN device and select it to bring up the Properties page.
- Select the Power Management tab.
- Under the Power Management tab, make sure the following option is checked (enabled): “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Note: If you have Control Panel configured to view by small or large icons, you may not see the System and Security category listed in step 2. In this case, select System from the available Control Panel applets and select Device Manager from the left pane. You can then skip steps 2 and 3 and continue with step 4.
- Alternatively, you can reboot your computer.
More information on Intel’s My WiFi Technology, including supported wireless networking adapters, can be obtained by visiting Intel’s website.
for other considerations.
Article ID: 2560995 - Last Review: June 1, 2011 - Revision: 2.0
- Windows 7 Enterprise
- Windows 7 Home Basic
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Starter
- Windows 7 Ultimate