FIX: Internet Explorer in Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3 unexpectedly deletes local files
Consider the following scenario:
- You run a Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3-based image that includes the Internet Explorer 6 Sample Browser component.
- You use the Internet Explorer 6 browser to open a local file by using a URL that begins with file://. The format of the local file is unsupported for the browser. For example, you use the following URL string: file:///test.bin
- Then you receive the error message: There is no application associated with 'test'. Run the application first, then open this file from within the application.tHENThe format of the local file is unsupported by the browser.
The issue occurs because Internet Explorer assumes that the file is always downloaded to the Internet Explorer cache and then tries to delete the file when it is no longer needed. However, the file may not be located in the cache folder at all. Therefore, an unnecessary deletion operation occurs.
Software update informationA supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Monthly Update June, 2011. In the "File information" section, the package file name contains the product version, date, Microsoft Knowledge Base article number, and processor type. The package file name format is as follows:
Product version-yymmdd-kbnnnnnn-processor typeFor example: Wincepb60-110128-kb2492159-armv4i.msi is the ARMV4i Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Platform Builder fix that is documented in Knowledge Base article 2492159 and that is contained in the January 2011 monthly update.
To resolve this problem immediately, download this Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Monthly Update from one of the following Microsoft websites:
Windows EmbeddedMicrosoft Download Center
PrerequisitesThis update is supported only if all previously issued updates for this product have also been installed.
Restart requirementAfter you apply this update, you must perform a clean build of the whole platform. To do this, use one of the following methods:
- On the Build menu, click Clean Solution, and then click Build Solution.
- On the Build menu, click Rebuild Solution.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any other updates.
File informationThe English version of this software update package has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time item in Control Panel.
|File name||File size||Date||Time|
Files that are included in this update package
|File name||File size||Date||Time||Path|
|Windows embedded ce 6.0_update_kb2561098.htm||7,636||28-Jun-2011||15:26||110628_kb2561098|
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
824684 Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 2561098 - Last Review: 06/21/2014 16:23:00 - Revision: 3.0
Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3
- kbqfe kbfix kbpubtypekc kbexpertiseinter KB2561098