FIX: System State backups started by third-party backup applications may fail if the HIS VSS Writer cannot communicate with SQL Server in a Host Integration Server 2009 environment
- You install the Transaction Integrator feature under the Server component during the Microsoft Host Integration Server (HI Server) 2009 setup process.
- You configure the Transaction Integrator feature to use a remote Microsoft SQL Server system to host the Host Initiated Processing (HIP) SQL database by using the Host Integration Server Configuration Tool.
In this scenario, the HIS VSS Writer service (HisVSSWriter.exe) logs the following event message every time that a file backup application queries the VSS Writers that are installed on the system:
Event ID: 307
Source: HIS VSS Writer
The HIS VSS Writer service could not discern the SQL Version associated with the HIP Database.
Connection String: %1
Note This problem does not occur when you perform a system state backup by using the Windows Backup and Restore tool.
For more information about how to obtain the cumulative update package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
- Transaction Integrator
- BizTalk Adapter for Host Applications
- SNA Gateway
The HIS VSS Writer provides the following functions:
- Backup and restore for the HI Serverconfiguration file (COM.CFG)
- Backup and restore for the Transaction Integrator HIP SQL database
The updated HIS VSS Writer was changed to complete the following actions before the HIS VSS Writer tries to back up the files that are listed here:
- The SQL Server name that is specified to host the HIP SQL database in the Transaction Integrator configuration is compared to the local computer name to determine whether the SQL Server is installed locally or on a remote system. If the SQL Server is located on a remote system, the HIS VSS Writer does not try to connect to the SQL Server.
- The HIS VSS Writer checks whether the Host Integration Server configuration file (Com.cfg) exists on the local system. If the file does not exist, it is not added to the list of files to be backed up.
Note This applies to scenarios where you perform a "nodeless" installation of Host Integration Server 2009. To do this, you install only the Transaction Integrator feature under the Server component during the setup process. The Host Integration Server configuration file (COM.CFG) does not exist on nodeless installations of Host Integration Server.
Article ID: 2579537 - Last Review: 09/28/2011 08:59:00 - Revision: 2.0
- kbqfe kbfix kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew kbbug KB2579537