Unable to Run Windows File Protection Scan Remotely
This article was previously published under Q258673
When you attempt to start a Windows File Protection (WFP) scan of the system files using Sfc.exe, either of the following situations may occur:
- The Cmd.exe dialog box, in which you run Sfc.exe, may appear briefly, and then disappear.
- The following error message may be displayed:
You must be an Administrator running a console session in order to use the Windows File Checker utility.
This behavior can occur if you attempt to run Sfc.exe on a remote computer through a Terminal Services client, even if the destination server is running in Remote Administration mode.
To run Sfc.exe, log on locally to the computer you want to scan.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 258673 - Last Review: 02/28/2007 18:19:43 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server