How to enable Group Chat Channel and Lookup service trace logging for Group Chat Server
Researching sign in failures and network connectivity issues for Group Chat Server may require a more detailed logging level than the default logging level provided by the product. The logging level of Group Chat Server can be changed from its default informational level to a debug logging level. This article will provide the necessary step by step information that is needed to enable debug level logging for Group Chat server.
Group Chat server provides two levels of logging. The default level of logging is known as INFO and the debug level of logging is known as ALL. The information listed below details how to update Group Chat Server logging to ALL from the default logging value of INFO.
- On the Windows server based computer that is hosting Group Chat Server choose Start and then Run
- Type in explore.exe and click on the OK button to open Windows Explorer
- Locate the ChannelService.exe.config file under <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Group Chat Server
- Right click on ChannelService.exe.config and choose to edit the file
- Locate the <log4mgc> XML element
- Underneath the <log4mgc> XML element locate the <level value="INFO"/> XML element and its value parameter
- Update the <level value="INFO"/> value parameter to <level value="ALL"/>
- This change will update logging on the Group Chat Server to debug level from the default informational level of logging
Note Remember to change the level value parameter's from <level value="ALL"/> back to the original value of <level value="INFO"/> when verbose log collection is complete. The verbose level of logging costs server resources and should be used for troubleshooting purposes only.
Note Updating the level value parameter to <level value="NONE"/> will disable logging for the Group Chat client
- Underneath the <log4mgc> XML element locate <file value=""/> XML element and value parameter. The Group Chat Server will save the log files at the location that is noted in the <file value=""/> XML element and value parameter. The default location should be <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2\Group Chat Server\Logs
- When editing the ChannelService.exe.config file is completed, save the changes to the file before closing it
Article ID: 2598852 - Last Review: 08/27/2011 23:04:00 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Lync 2010 Group Chat, Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Group Chat, Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat, Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat client, Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Group Chat server
- kbsurveynew KB2598852