A hotfix that enables interoperability with Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 RC is available for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
This article describes a hotfix that lets you centrally manage Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 servers by using the Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2012 Release Candidate (RC). Additionally, this article describes some issues that are fixed by this hotfix.
System Center DPM 2012 RC lets you manage multiple System Center DPM servers by using a single console. After you apply this hotfix, you can use the same console to manage your System Center DPM 2010 servers and your System Center DPM 2012 RC servers.
You can use the central console to monitor the health of the System Center DPM resources. This includes DPM servers, protected computers, tape libraries, and disk space availability. Additionally, the central console tracks the tasks that are running on System Center DPM servers. For example, the central console tracks whether recovery points are being taken at the scheduled times and whether a server is still on the network.
Issues that this hotfix resolvesThe following issues are resolved by this hotfix:
- You cannot configure a Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 server that has a third-party product installed.
- Item-level recovery fails even though the backup is complete in SharePoint Server.
- When a System Center DPM client computer starts, the client-side user interface (UI) starts a backup process. If the backup process is pending when the client computer starts, the startup process is slow.
- When a protected and clustered SQL database has lots of Network Diagnostics Framework (NDF) files spread across the shared clustered disk (1240 NDF files), initial replication does not finish. Additionally, the job times out after 12 hours.
- When you add new clients to a protection group in a data recovery flow for System Center DPM server, the UI stops responding. This issue occurs because there is insufficient space for a replica.
Important informationCustom filters that use the Monitoring UI are not retained after you install this hotfix. Therefore, you must copy the JobFilters.xml file from the following directory after you apply this hotfix:
DPMINstallLocation\DPM\bin to the folder %SystemDrive%\Users\User name\appdata\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Data Protection ManagerNote This hotfix package applies to all language versions of System Center DPM 2010.
PrerequisitesTo apply this hotfix on a System Center DPM 2010 server that is running Windows Server 2008 R2, you must have the following hotfix installed:
2223201 Event ID 82 may be logged in the System log after you extend the protected dynamic volume on a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computerTo apply this hotfix on a System Center DPM server that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, you must have the following hotfix installed:
2279787 Event ID 82 may be recorded in the System log after you extend the protected dynamic volume on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008Additionally, the central console requires Microsoft System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) 2007 R2 to serve as the centralized management server for the System Center DPM environment. We recommend that customers have a dedicated Microsoft System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) 2012 RC server that is used only to centrally manage System Center DPM. This dedicated SCOM 2012 RC server can be a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 and that serves as a centralized management server for System Center DPM. You must also download and install the centralized management components for System Center DPM 2012 RC together with the server-side and client-side central console components.
Installation instructionsThis hotfix contains the System Center DPM server-side hotfix (DataProtectionManager2010-KB2615782.exe). The server-side hotfix updates the System Center DPM binaries to enable the central console functionality. To install the server-side hotfix package on a server that is running System Center DPM 2010, run the DataProtectionManager2010- KB2615782.exe executable file on the server.
Note DataProtectionManager2010- KB2615782.exe is an x64-based executable file and can be applied only on x64-based System Center DPM servers. After you install this hotfix, you must update the protection agents by using the System Center DPM administrator console. To do this, use one of the following methods.
- Open the System Center DPM administrator console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
- In the Enter Credentials and Reboot option dialog box that is displayed, enter your credentials, select the Manually restart the selected servers later option, and then click OK.
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center DPM 2010 server:Data Protection Manager Installation location\DPM\Agents\RA\3.0.8180.0000
- To update an x86-based computer, use the following hotfix: i386\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB2615782.exe
- To update an x64-based computer, use the following hotfix: amd64\1033\DPMAgentInstaller_KB2615782_AMD64.exe
- The DPMAgentInstaller.exe package applies to all languages.
- Run the appropriate DPMAgentInstaller.exe package on each protected computer.
- Open the System Center DPM administrator console on the System Center DPM 2010 server.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- Select the protected computers, and then verify that the agent version is 3.0.8180.0000.
2581742 Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 interoperability hotfix for centralized management with System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 Beta
Restart informationYou have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
How to download the hotfixTo download this hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Download Center website:
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Article ID: 2615782 - Last Review: 02/27/2012 08:56:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
- kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter atdownload KB2615782