How to remove the PC Repair virus
While browsing the Internet or working on your computer after browsing the internet, you may notice that a new window titled PC Repair may open, you are asked to defragment your computer and then asked for personal information such as your email address. This is a variant of the Win32/FakeSysdef malware and can delete or hide files as well as engage in other malicious activity on your computer.
This issue can be resolved and the PC Repair virus removed by running the Microsoft Safety Scanner. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Go to http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx and click the Download Now button.
- Follow the on screen instructions to download and install the Microsoft Safety Scanner. When prompted, save the file to your desktop.
- Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode:
For Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP:
- When starting your computer, repeatedly press the F8 key.
- The Windows Advanced Options Menu (Windows XP) or the Advanced Boot Options menu (Windows Vista or Windows 7) will appear. Highlight Safe Mode and press the Enter key.
- If you're prompted for Administrator credentials, enter your User Name and Password and click OK.
- Double click the Microsoft SafetyScanner icon on your desktop. It may be labeled as msert.
- Click the box next to Accept all terms of the preceding license agreement, then click Next.
- Click Quick Scan, then click Next.
- The Microsoft Safety Scanner will scan your computer. This may take a few minutes. Once the scan is complete, click View detailed results of the scan. You should see Trojan: Win32/FakeSysdef listed in the results.
For more information about the Microsoft Safety Scanner, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
For more information about the Win32/FakeSysdef malware and it's variants, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Trojan%3aWin32%2fFakeSysdef&threatid=4295122934
Microsoft offers a free security program, Microsoft Security Essentials, that will help protect your computer from being infected with malware. For more informaiton about Microsoft Security Essentials, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx
For information on how to keep your computer safe from hackers, malware, and other malicious activity, visit Microsoft's Safety and Security Center at: http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.aspx
PC Repair Microsoft Safety Scanner Win32/FakeSysdef Microsoft Security Essentials Malware Virus
Article ID: 2617291 - Last Review: 04/09/2013 07:16:00 - Revision: 2.0