Disk Error 11 and ATAPI Error 5 Using DMA Transfer Mode for ATA66 Hard Disk
This article was previously published under Q262448
If you are using DMA transfer mode with an ATA66 hard disk, you may receive the following error messages at startup:
Driver detected a controller error on the device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1
Parity error on device \IDE\IDEport1
ATA66 DMA transfer mode is not supported for the onboard IDE controller.
To resolve this issue, change the transfer mode for the controller:
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
- Double-click System Tools in the right pane, and then double-click Device Manager.
- Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller in the right pane, and then double-click the appropriate controller.
- On the Advanced Settings tab, click PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box.
- Click OK, close the Computer Management window, and then reboot the computer.
For a list of compatible IDE controllers, check the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) at the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error messages
Article ID: 262448 - Last Review: 03/01/2007 18:37:05 - Revision: 5.2
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb KB262448