"Access Denied" error, or user is repeatedly prompted for credentials when trying to connect to Office 365 by using a rich client application
When users try to access a Microsoft Office 365 resource from a rich client application such as Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Lync, one of the following symptoms occurs:
- Users are repeatedly prompted to enter their credentials.
- Users receive the following error message:
To fix this problem, reset the user's password. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser, browse to the Office 365 portal (https://portal.office.com), and then sign in by using the user's expired credentials.
- When you're prompted, enter a new Office 365 password for the user. Make sure that the password meets the criteria for Office 365.
For information about related issues, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:
- 2637629 How to troubleshoot non-browser apps that can’t sign in to Office 365, Azure, or Intune
- 2461628 A federated user is repeatedly prompted for credentials during sign-in to Office 365, Azure, or Intune
Article ID: 2630976 - Last Review: 10/27/2014 10:03:00 - Revision: 31.0
Microsoft Office 365, Office 365 User and Domain Management
- o365 o365e o365p o365022013 o365m o365a KB2630976