Outlook for Mac cannot import an ANSI .pst file
When you try to import a .pst file into Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac or Outlook for Mac 2011, you receive one of the following errors depending on your version of Outlook for Mac:
Outlook 2016 for Mac:
There's something wrong with this file. Please try another file.
Outlook for Mac 2011:
The Data File could not be imported. This Outlook Data File is saved in ANSI format, which cannot be imported by Outlook for Mac.
The .pst file is saved in the 97-2002 format, ANSI, that Outlook for Mac does not support.
Open the .pst file in Microsoft Outlook 2010, and move the contents to a new .pst file that is saved in Unicode format. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Outlook 2010, and click File, Open, Open Outlook Data File.
- Browse to and select the ANSI .pst file.
- Select the ANSI .pst file root in the Navigation Pane.
- Click File, click Options, and then select Advanced.
- Click Export, and then select Export to a file and click Next.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst), and click Next.
- Make sure the root of the ANSI .pst file is selected, and that Include subfolders is enabled, and then click Next.
- Click Browse to choose a location for the new .pst file to be created, and enter a file name for it, and click OK.
- Click Finish, enter a password for the PST if you prefer (optional), and click OK.
- This creates a Unicode PST file in the location that you specified, that you can later import into Outlook for Mac successfully.
- Open Outlook for Mac, and import the .pst file. For more information about how to import .pst files, visit the following Microsoft website:
ANSI, Outlook 2011, Outlook for Mac 2011, .pst, Outlook 2016 for Mac
Article ID: 2632329 - Last Review: 08/10/2015 06:25:00 - Revision: 8.0
Microsoft Outlook 2016 for Mac, Outlook for Mac for Office 365, Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011