The spelling checker does not flag misspelled words in Word 2007
Symptom 1When you type a misspelled word in Microsoft Office Word 2007, it is not flagged by the spelling checker.
Symptom 2When you click the Spelling & Grammar button in the Proofing group on the Review tab in Word 2007, one of the following messages is displayed:
- The spelling and grammar check is complete.
- Proofing Tools are not installed for <default language>, try re-installing proofing tools.
To view information on how to resolve this issue in another version of Microsoft Word, click the link below:
The spelling checker does not flag misspelled words in Word 2010
This issue may occur for any one of several reasons:
- Proofing tools are not installed.
- The Speller EN-US add-in is disabled.
- The Do not check spelling or grammar check box is selected.
- Another language is set as the default.
- The following entry is present in the registry:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US
We recommend that you follow the provided methods in this article in order. However, if you had previously tried one of the methods to resolve this issue and it did not help, you can jump to another method quickly from this list:
- Method 1: Install proofing tools
- Method 2: Enable the speller EN-US add-in
- Method 3: Enable check spelling as you type
- Method 4: Select the desired languauge and clear the "Do not check spelling or grammar" check box
- Method 5: Modify the registry
Method 1: Install proofing tools
- Exit all programs.
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Windows Vista, double-click Programs and Features. In earlier versions of Windows, double-click Add or Remove Programs.In Windows 7, under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
- Click Microsoft Office Edition, and then click Change.
Note In this step and in the following step, the placeholder Edition represents the Microsoft Office edition that is installed on the computer.
- In the Microsoft Office Edition dialog box, click Add or Remove Features, and then click Continue.
- Expand Office Shared Features, click the icon to the left of Proofing Tools, and then click Run all from My Computer.
Method 2: Enable the Speller EN-US add-in
- In Word, click the Office button, and the click WordOptions.
- On the left, click Add-Ins.
- At the bottom of the Word Options dialog box, in the Manage section, select the drop-down arrow and change the selection from COM Add-ins to Disabled items, and then click Go.
- In the Disabled Items dialog box, check to see if Speller EN-US (nlsdata0009.dll) is available in the Select the ones you which to re-enable box.
- If Speller EN-US (nlsdata0009.dll) is listed, click it, and then click Enable.
- Click Close to exit Disabled Items and click OK to exit Word Options.
Method 3: Enable Check Spelling as you type
- Click the Office button and then select WordOptions.
- In the Word Options dialog box, select Proofing.
- Ensure Check spelling as you type is enabled in the When correcting spelling and grammar in Word section.
- Ensure that check boxes are clear in the Exception for section.
- Click OK to save and exit Word Options.
Method 4: Select the desired language and clear the "Do not check spelling or grammar" check box
- Select the entire Word document.
- Click the Review tab.
- On the Review tab, click Set Language.
- In the Language dialog box, click the language you want and click OK.
- If there is a check mark next to the Do not check spelling or grammar check box, click to clear the check box.
Method 5: Use a Fix it to modify the registry
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following link to view the Windows Online article:
To have us remove the related registry key from the registry for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.
Fix it for meTo fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or to a CD, and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Let me fix it myselfTo fix this problem yourself, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the open box, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
- Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override
- Click Delete.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Exit and then restart Word.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact Support.
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, leave a comment on the "Fix it for me" blog, or send us an email message.
2007, spell, fixit, fixme, fix it
Article ID: 2662392 - Last Review: 03/14/2012 20:04:00 - Revision: 3.0
Microsoft Office Word 2007
- kbfixme kbmsifixme KB2662392