The Internet Explorer WPAD Diagnostic was designed to reset and collect data related to Internet Explorer’s Automatically Detect Settings activity used to troubleshoot Internet Explorer connectivity issues related to Proxy Automatic Discovery.
This article describes the actions that may occur and the information that may be collected from a machine when running Internet Explorer WPAD Data Collection.
Internet Explorer WPAD Data Collection will perform the following:
· Prompt to choose the affected user
· Prompt for user credentials
· Clear Temporary Internet Files on IE7+, delete .pac/.dat files on IE6
· Start network trace (netsh for Win7/2k8r2, nmcap for Vista/2k8, netcap for XP 2k3)
NOTE: Will prompt and open browser to NM3.4 download on Vista / 2k8 if not already installed.
· Prompt that includes information on the deletion of the contents of IE’s Connections registry keys
· Save connections keys to user’s desktop
· Delete HKLM/HKCU/ and HKLM\ Wow6432Node, HKCU\Wow6432Node Connections key contents if they exist
· Release and renew IP address
· Launch IE as selected user
· Stop and collect network traces
IE Connections Key Activity Log
IPConfig Activity Log
Network Trace Files (Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2)
Network Trace Log:
Network Trace File:
Network Trace Cab:
Network Trace Files (Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008)