Error in Rstrui.exe When Starting System Restore or Creating a Manual Restore Point
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to create a manual restore point in System Restore, the following error message may appear:
Rstrui has caused an error in RSTRUI.EXE.
Rstrui will now close.
If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
This error can also occur when you start the System Restore tool.
Your computer's system date is set for the year 2038 or later.
To work around this problem, reset the data store by following these steps:
- Make sure that your system date is set correctly by using the Date/Time tool in the Control Panel.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click System.
- Click the Performance tab.
- Click File System.
- Click the Troubleshooting tab.
- Select the Disable System Restore check box.
- Click OK, click Close, and then restart your computer when prompted.
- After your computer restarts, follow steps 2 through 6 and clear the Disable System Restore check box. Restart your computer when prompted.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Article ID: 267511 - Last Review: 06/19/2014 08:22:00 - Revision: 2.0