You cannot delete an empty folder in a .pst file by using Outlook in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
Consider the following scenario:
- You create a new mailbox in a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 environment.
- You create an empty folder in the mailbox.
- You run the New-MailboxExportRequest cmdlet to export the mailbox to a personal folder (.pst) file.
- You open the .pst file by using Microsoft Outlook.
- You try to delete the empty folder in the mailbox.
In this scenario, you receive the following error message:
Cannot delete this folder. Right-click the folder, and then click the Properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or your administrator to change the permissions.
This issue occurs because the following MAPI properties are not created for the empty folder when you run the New-MailboxExportRequest
You cannot delete the empty folder if it is missing these properties.
To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
Description of Update Rollup 3 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
To work around this issue, run the Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) against the .pst file.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For more information about the New-MailboxExportRequest
cmdlet, go to the following Microsoft website:
For more information about how to find and run the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to find and run the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook
Article ID: 2684583 - Last Review: 06/27/2012 09:10:00 - Revision: 2.0
- kbqfe kbfix kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter KB2684583