Error Message: Cocreate Instance Failed - Class Not Registered
This article was previously published under Q269853
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to access the properties of the Display tool in Control Panel, or right-click the desktop and click Properties
, you may receive the following error message:
Cocreate instance failed - class not registered
This issue can occur if a Monster 3D video adapter is installed on your computer.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Find Files and Folders.
- In the Search for files or folders named box, type mnstr2pl.dl_.
- In the Look in box, type C:\.
- Click Search Now.
- Right-click the Mnstr2pl.dl_ file and click Rename.
- In the file name box, type mnstr2pl.xxx, and then press ENTER.
- Repeat steps one to six using Mnstr2pl.dll as the file to find.
- Rename the Mnstr2pl.dll file to Mnstr2pl.yyy.
For information about how to rename a file, click Start
, click Help
, click the Index
tab, type renaming
, and then double-click the "Renaming files" topic.
Article ID: 269853 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 21:15:14 - Revision: 1.3
Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb KB269853