Error Message: Cocreate Instance Failed - Class Not Registered
This article was previously published under Q269853
When you attempt to access the properties of the Display tool in Control Panel, or right-click the desktop and click Properties
, you may receive the following error message:
Cocreate instance failed - class not registered
This issue can occur if a Monster 3D video adapter is installed on your computer.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Find, and then click Find Files and Folders.
- In the Search for files or folders named box, type mnstr2pl.dl_.
- In the Look in box, type C:\.
- Click Search Now.
- Right-click the Mnstr2pl.dl_ file and click Rename.
- In the file name box, type mnstr2pl.xxx, and then press ENTER.
- Repeat steps one to six using Mnstr2pl.dll as the file to find.
- Rename the Mnstr2pl.dll file to Mnstr2pl.yyy.
For information about how to rename a file, click Start
, click Help
, click the Index
tab, type renaming
, and then double-click the "Renaming files" topic.
Article ID: 269853 - Last Review: 01/27/2007 17:57:37 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- kberrmsg kbhardware kbprb KB269853