This article describes how to move Exchange databases by using Exchange System Manager.
To move Exchange databases:
- Start Exchange System Manager.
- Locate the server that contains the databases (stores) that you want to move.
- Under the server, locate the storage group that contains the databases that you want to move.
- Right-click the appropriate database.
- Click Properties on the shortcut menu.
- Click the Database tab.
- Click Browse next to the Exchange 2000 database to select a new location for the .edb file.
- Click Browse next to the Exchange 2000 streaming database to select a new location for the .stm file.
- Click OK or Apply to apply your changes, or click Cancel if you do not want to apply your changes.
- If you clicked OK or Apply, you receive the following warning message:
(Only the operations that you have chosen are listed in the warning message.) The warning message contains a Yes and a No button.
You are about to perform the following operation(s)
- change the Exchange database location
- change the Exchange streaming database location
To perform the requested operation(s), the store must be dismounted which will make it inaccessible to any users.
Do you want to continue?
- Click Yes if you are ready to proceed, otherwise click No.
- If you clicked Yes, the stores (databases) are dismounted, moved, and remounted. When these procedures are successfully completed, you receive the following informational message:
The database files have been moved successfully
- Click OK in the informational message to finish.
For additional information about how to change the location of the transaction log files (.log) and temporary files (.chk and .tmp) in Exchange 2000 Server, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to change log file (.log) and temporary file (.chk and .tmp) locations in Exchange 2000
Article ID: 270693 - Last Review: December 3, 2007 - Revision: 3.5
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition