Screen may flicker when you view a Web page that contains animated content over a Terminal Services client session with Internet Explorer
This article was previously published under Q271246
Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
When you use Microsoft Internet Explorer to view a Web page that contains animated content over a Terminal Services client session, the animated content may flicker.
Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (SP2)To resolve this problem with Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, add a Force Offscreen Composition DWORD value to the following registry subkey and set its data value to 1:
For information about how to do this, see the "More Information" section later in this article.
Internet Explorer 6To resolve this problem with Internet Explorer 6, follow these steps:
- In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu, and then click the Advanced tab.
- Under Browsing, click to select the Force offscreen compositing even under Terminal Server (Requires restart) check box.
- Click OK.
- Quit Internet Explorer, and then restart it.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To resolve this problem with Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2, add the Force Offscreen Composition DWORD value to the Windows registry. This method is also an alternative method for Internet Explorer 6. To do so, follow these steps:
- Start Registry Editor.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add thefollowing registry entry:Entry name:Force Offscreen Composition
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 1
- Quit Registry Editor.
Force Offscreen Compositionvalue is 0.
Article ID: 271246 - Last Review: 01/27/2007 17:45:00 - Revision: 3.2
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1
- kbfix kbqfe kbprb kbdisplay kbhotfixserver KB271246