Error message when you attempt to access a domain-based DFS share in Office 2000
This article was previously published under Q272230
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you attempt to open or save a domain-based Distributed File System (DFS) share, you may experience the following problems:
- When you attempt to open or save a domain-based DFS share by clicking Open, Save, or Save As on the File menu in any Office 2000 program, and you use the \\ServerName\dfs\share syntax (where ServerName is the name of the hosting DFS share server), you may receive the following error message:You do not have access to the folder \\domain. See your administrator for access to the folder.
- When you attempt to open or save a file in a domain-based DFS share after you locate the share by clicking Open, Save, or Save As on the File menu in any Office 2000 program, you may receive the following error message (where ServerName is the name of the hosting DFS share server):The document name or path is not valid.
Try one or more of the following:
* Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly.
* On the File menu, click Open, Search for the file using this dialog box.
This problem can occur if you do not use the fully-qualified DNS name for the Windows 2000 Active Directory in either the Open or Save As dialog box.
To resolve this problem, use the fully-qualified DNS name of the serverhosting the DFS share, for example:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This issue has been addressed by a hotfix.For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
294687 You receive an error message when you open from or save to a domain Dfs in Office 2000Also, this issue also occurs in Office XP and a hotfix is being developed for that version.
Article ID: 272230 - Last Review: 10/21/2013 00:53:53 - Revision: 3.2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 1
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbdns kbprb kbdfs KB272230