XADM: Preparing a Mixed Mode Organization for Conversion to Native Mode
This article was previously published under Q272314
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to prepare an Exchange 2000 or an Exchange 2003 organization that is currently running in Mixed Mode for conversion to Native Mode. These steps should be performed after the last Exchange 5.5 server in the organization is upgraded, or before the last server is decommissioned.
For Each Administrative Group (Site), ensure that all System Folders are replicated to an Exchange 2000 Server or an Exchange 2003 computer:
- Ensure your account has Full Exchange Administrator permissions, as well as service account Administrator permissions to the 5.5 Exchange Site.
- Start the Exchange System Manager program.
- From the left pane in the Exchange System Manager program, click to expand Administrative Groups, click to expand AdminGroup, click to expand Folders, and thenclick to expand Public Folders.
- Right click Public Folders and click View System Folders.
NOTE: The Folders object is located in the first administrative group that was upgraded. If you do not see the Folders object, check the other Administrative Groups to locate this object.
- Under System Folders, click to expand Offline Address Book to select the Offline Address Book (OAB). The OAB should be of the form EX:/O=ORG/OU=SiteRight click the folder and click Properties, then click the Replication tab.
Verify that the "Replicate content to these Public Stores:" has an Exchange 2000 Server or an Exchange 2003 computer listed. If a replica does not exist on an Exchange 2000 computer or on an Exchange 2003 computer, click the Add button to add a replica to at least one Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 computer.
- Repeat Step 5, for OAB Version 2 (under Offline Address Book).
- Repeat Step 5 for the Schedule+ Free Busy Folder.
- Repeat Steps 5, 6, and 7 for each Exchange Site.
- Wait for Replication. Verify that preceding steps have been performed before continuing to the next section.
To change the organization mode from Mixed mode to Native mode after you decommission the last Exchange Server 5.5 computer in your organization, perform the following steps.
- Use the Active Directory Connector Management snap-in to delete any recipient Connection Agreements. Do not attempt to delete any configuration Connection Agreements that begin with Config_CA in the management console.
- Ensure your account has full Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator program permissions, as well as service account Administrator permissions to the SRS database.
- Open Exchange 5.5 Administrator, either on another Exchange 5.5 server, or directly on the Exchange 2000 or the Exchange 2003 computer with the SRS. This is typically the first Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 computer installed to an Exchange 5.5 site. Click File, click Connect to Server, and then type the name of the Exchange 2000 or the Exchange 2003 computer running the SRS service.
NOTE: If the Exchange 5.5 Administrator is not already installed on the Exchange 2000 or the Exchange 2003 computer, you can install it if you run Setup.exe from the Exchange 2000 Server or the Exchange 2003 CD.Click Change next to Microsoft Exchange 2000 or Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, and then click Install next to Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Administrator.
- In the Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program that is connected to the SRS, click to expand the local site name (which is displayed in bold), click to expand Configuration, click Directory Replication Connectors, and then delete any Directory Replication Connectors that exist.
NOTE: Do not delete the ADNAutoDRC connector listed under Directory Replication Connectors.
- If the Exchange 5.5 computer is still operational, stop the Exchange services on the Exchange Server 5.5 computer.For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:189286 XADM: How to Delete a Server from a Site
- Navigate to the Configuration container, click Servers, and then delete any Exchange Server 5.5 computers that are displayed in the Servers container.
- If you have more than one SRS in your organization, perform steps three through five for each SRS to ensure all Exchange Server 5.5 computers and Directory Replication Connectors are removed.
- Allow time for the changes that you made in the Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program to replicate to the Config_CAs to Active Directory.
- Start Exchange System Manager.
- Ensure that no Exchange Server 5.5 computers are displayed in any administrative group in Exchange System Manager.
- Navigate to the Tools container, click the Site Replication Services container, right-click each SRS, and then click Delete. When you do so, the SRS and corresponding Config_CA for that SRS are deleted.
- After all the SRSs have been deleted, remove the Active Directory Connector (ADC) service.
270143 XADM: Mixed Mode vs. Native Mode
Article ID: 272314 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 21:33:28 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB272314