"MSN Money cannot save your Portfolio to the server at this time" error message in MSN Money Portfolio Manager
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you access or leave the Portfolio in MSN Money, you receive the following error message:
MSN Money cannot save your portfolio to the server at this time, so any changes will be viewable on this computer only. When the server is available your changes will be saved on MSN Money and then will be viewable from multiple computers.Your changes to the portfolio are not saved to the server.
This problem occurs if one of the following conditions is true:
- The MSN Money Web site is experiencing server-related problems.
- The local copy of your data file is corrupted.
- Antivirus, firewall, or other Internet Security software or settings are blocking the Portfolio's communication with the MSN Money servers.
- The browser window that shows the MSN Money Portfolio was left open for more than 24 hours which resulted in expiring your sign in.
Note Close all the browser windows, and then restart the browser and visit MSN Money. See whether this resolves the problem.
Examine the MSN Money Network Status for any known site or server events. To do this, visit the following MSN Web site:
- In the Portfolio under Other Tasks, click More, click File options, and then click Back up.
- Remove all the local Portfolio data files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Close all Internet Explorer windows.
- Click Start, and then click My Documents.
- Create a new folder that is named "Backup" in My Documents.
- Click View, click Details, and then click the Name column to group the files by their file names.
- Press and hold the CTRL key while you left-click to select each file whose name starts with "My Portfolio." After they are all selected, click Edit on the folder menu bar, and then click Cut.
- Open the new Backup folder, click Edit, and then click Paste to move all the "My Portfolio" files to this folder.
- Open Internet Explorer, and then access the Portfolio again.
- Access the Portfolio, verify that you can change this new file, and then save the file to the server. If you cannot save the new file to the server, there may be something on this system that is blocking the Portfolio's communication with the MSN Money servers. Antivirus, firewall, or Internet Security software could be blocking the Portfolio's communication with the MSN Money servers.
Note If the Portfolio has not successfully saved to the MSN Money servers in the past 90 days, the MSN Money servers will force an update of the local file. Most likely, the local file will now show old data.
If the repairs report no problems and the backup file will not correctly restore in MSN Money's Portfolio, use Money 2006 or an earlier version of Money to upload the data to the MSN Money servers. Money 2007 is incompatible with MSN Money Portfolio. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Money, and then open or restore the backup file.
- Make sure that Money is using the same Windows Live ID credentials that you use in MSN Money's Portfolio. To change the Windows Live ID credentials, click File, and then click Password Manager.
- Enable synching with the MSN Money servers. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Tools.
- Click Settings.
- Click Access Money on the Web.
- If you are prompted to select between the data that is already on the MSN Money servers and the data in this Money file, select the data in the Money file.
329840 You cannot synchronize data between Microsoft Money and MSN Money
Article ID: 272645 - Last Review: 01/12/2015 16:56:13 - Revision: 6.0
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kberrmsg kbpending KB272645