How to obtain the latest Excel Viewer
The Microsoft Excel Viewer is a small, freely redistributable program that lets you view and print Microsoft Excel spreadsheets if you don’t have Excel installed. In addition, the Excel Viewer can open workbooks that were created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh.
The Excel Viewer can open the latest version of Excel workbooks, but it will not display newer features.
The Microsoft Excel Viewer is the latest version of the viewer. It can read the file formats of all versions of Excel, and it replaces the Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003. For more information about opening a workbook, viewing a worksheet, working with data, and printing by using the Excel Viewer, see the following Help file:
Other options for free viewing of Excel workbooks
- Excel Online Excel Online is available through OneDrive or deployed as part of Microsoft SharePoint. Excel Online can view, edit and print Excel workbooks. For more information about Excel Online, see the Office Online overview.
- Office 365 Trial Downloading the trial will give you access to the full capabilities of Microsoft Office 2013. For more information, see Office 365 Home.
- Office Mobile applications Download the trial for mobile applications available on iPhone, Android phone, or Windows Phone. For more information, see Office on mobile devices.
How to obtain the Excel ViewerThe Excel Viewer is available for download from the following Microsoft website:
Microsoft also recommends installing the latest updates including: Excel Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) to obtain the latest improvements to the Excel Viewer. To download the Excel Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2, click the following link.
For more information about what is fixed by Excel Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2), see the following KB article:
Description of the Excel Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953336
The file name of the Excel Viewer is xlview.exe. The default folder location for the Excel Viewer on a 32-bit operating system is c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\. The default folder location for the Excel Viewer on a 64-bit operating system is c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\.
Note If you already have a full version of Microsoft Excel installed on your computer, do not install Microsoft Excel Viewer in the same directory. Doing this causes file conflicts.
File formats supportedThe Excel file formats supported are .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlsb, .xltx, .xltm, .xls, .xlt, .xlm, and .xlw. Macro-enabled files can be opened (.xlsm, .xltm, and .xlm), but the macros do not run.
Known issues with newer versions of Excel workbooks and the Excel ViewerEven though the Excel Viewer can read the latest Excel workbooks, the following new features are not visible or are displayed differently in the Excel Viewer.
- Sparklines are not shown in the Excel Viewer. The cells where they are located are blank.
- PivotTables and PivotCharts are flattened. The data or chart will appear, but modifications cannot be made.
- Macros do not run in the Excel Viewer.
- Slicers do not display data in the Excel Viewer. Instead, a box is displayed in the location of the slicer and it contains the following text: "This shape represents a slicer. Slicers are supported in Excel 2010 or later. If the shape was modified in an earlier version of Excel, or if the workbook was saved in Excel 2003 or earlier, the slicer cannot be used."
xlviewer XL2007 XL2010 XL2013 viewer obtain download
Article ID: 273711 - Last Review: 02/25/2015 08:30:00 - Revision: 11.2
Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition, Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition, Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2007, Microsoft Excel 2010
- kbinfo kbhowto kbofficeupdate KB273711