This article describes how to install Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac by using the Microsoft Office Installer. When you use the Microsoft Office Installer instead of the drag-and-drop installation method, you can control specifically which Office components are installed.
After Microsoft Office has been installed, you can use the Microsoft Office
Installer to add a single program or part of a program.
To install Office by using the Microsoft Office Installer, follow these steps:
- Insert the Microsoft Office 2001 compact disc (CD).
- Scroll down in the Microsoft Office 2001 window until you see the Microsoft Office Installer icon.
- Double-click the Microsoft Office Installer icon.
- Select the type of installation that you want to perform.
Easy Install: By default, the Easy Install option is selected. When you click Install, only the required extensions and components for Office are installed. This Easy Install option installs the same components that the drag-and-drop installation method does.
Custom Install: This option allows you to control what components of Office are installed. When you click Install, only components that are selected (checked) are installed. By default, everything is selected when you click Custom Install, which is equivalent to Easy Install.
To see a list of the available components for an Office program, click the triangle next to the program.
- A dash (-) in the check box for an Office program indicates that
some, but not all, options are selected for that program.
- An "X" in the check box for an Office program indicates that all components are selected for that program.
- An empty check box indicates that no components will be installed for that program.
How to Install Product Help
Help is a component of all of Office products. For example, to install Help for Microsoft Word, follow these steps:
NOTE: Visual Basic Editor Help is installed from the Value Pack. To install the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) Help files, run the Value Pack Installer, which is located in the Value Pack folder on the Office 2001 CD. In the Value Pack Installer, click the triangle next to Programmability, and click to select the VBA Help check box.
- Click the triangle next to Microsoft Word.
- Click to select (place an X in) the Help for Microsoft Word check box.
- In the Install Location list, click the hard disk partition or network volume in which you want to install Office.
By default, the Microsoft Office Installer installs Office in a
folder named Microsoft Office 2001 on the disk or volume that you select
in the Install Location list.
You can specify a folder in which to install Office by clicking Select Folder in the Install Location list. When you install Office in a specific folder, the Microsoft Office Installer automatically
creates a folder named Microsoft Office 2001 in the folder that you
- Click Install to begin the installation process.
- If you are installing Office for the first time, follow these steps:
- Enter your name and organization, and then click OK.
- Click OK to confirm your name and organization.
- Enter the 10-digit CD key that is on the back of the Microsoft Office 2001 CD sleeve.
- Click OK in the Product ID dialog box.
- All of the necessary files are copied to the location that you specified in step 5, and you receive a dialog box that states that the installation was successful.
If the dialog box prompts you to restart the computer, click Restart. Otherwise, click Quit to complete the installation process.
: Unlike versions of Microsoft Office earlier than Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition, you cannot use the installer program to remove selected Office components.
For more information about how to remove selected Office components, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFF2001: Files Installed with Complete Office 2001 Installation, Part 1
OFF2001: Files Installed with Complete Office 2001 Installation, Part 2
OFF2001: How to Remove Microsoft Office 2001 from Your Computer
Article ID: 275147 - Last Review: October 21, 2013 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB275147|