DNS Manager Monitor Test May Not Work on a Non-Domain Controller DNS Server
This article was previously published under Q275525
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you perform a manual test for a simple query on a Domain Name System (DNS) server, you may receive a "FAIL" message in the Simple Query column of the Test Results list when you click Test Now.
This problem can occur when all of the following conditions are true:
- The DNS server is not a domain controller.
- You use the Dnsmgmt.msc file that already exists to run the test. This is the same file that is used when you click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DNS.
- You use the following steps to perform the test:
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DNS.
- Right-click the DNS server name, and then click Properties.
- In the DNS_Server_Name Properties dialog box, click the Monitoring tab.
- Under Select a Test Type, select the A simple query against this DNS server check box.
- Click Test Now.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in theMicrosoft Knowledge Base:
How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
The English- language version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Time Version Size File name ------------------------------------------------------ 10/11/2000 02:31p 5.0.2195.2466 699,664 Dnsmgr.dll
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 2.
For additional information about how to install Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 hotfixes at the same time, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Installing Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 Hotfixes
Article ID: 275525 - Last Review: 10/26/2013 06:31:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhotfixserver kbqfe kbbug kbdns kbfix kbnetwork kbwin2000presp2fix KB275525