Edgetransport.exe process crashes after a journal recipient receives an NDR message in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
Consider the following scenario:
- You enable journaling in a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 environment.
- An email message is sent to a journal recipient, and then a journal report is generated on a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Hub Transport server.
- The Hub Transport server does not successfully deliver the journal report.
- The journal recipient receives a non-delivery report (NDR) message for the journal report.
In this scenario, the Edgetransport.exe process crashes on the Hub Transport server. Additionally, the following event is logged in the Application log if the Windows Error Reporting tool is enabled:
Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
This issue occurs because the NDR message for the journal report causes an infinite loop of journaling. Therefore, a stack overflow occurs that causes the Edgetransport.exe process to crash.
To resolve this issue, install the following update rollup:
Description of Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 2783772 - Last Review: 02/12/2013 16:49:00 - Revision: 1.0
Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
- kbqfe kbfix kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew KB2783772