Consider the following scenario:
- You click Get more features with a new edition of Windows in the System properties or in Control Panel to install a feature.
- You enter or buy a key by using the Add features to Windows 8 window.
In this scenario, the feature cannot be added, and a restore operation starts.Note
After the restore operation, the computer returns to the previous state. However, the new feature is no longer available.
This issue occurs when the Nalpeiron Licensing Service is running on the computer.
To resolve this issue, install the update that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Compatibility update is available for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
To work around this issue, disable the Nalpeiron Licensing Service before you try to install the feature. To do this, follow these steps:
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.
- Type services.msc, and then tap or click Services in the search results.
- Tap or Double-click Nalpeiron Licensing Service or NLS.
- Tap or Click Startup type, and then select Disabled.
- Tap or Click OK.
- Restart the computer.
- Install the feature, and then restart the computer.
- Repeat step 1 to step 3, and then change the startup type for the Nalpeiron Licensing Service or NLS to Automatic.
- Click OK, and then restart the computer.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 2787752 - Last Review: December 24, 2012 - Revision: 2.0
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8 Enterprise
|kbprb kbexpertisebeginner kbsurveynew kbtshoot KB2787752|