OLEXP: How to Manually Uninstall and Reinstall Outlook Express on Windows Millennium
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express
This article describes how to manually uninstall and then reinstall Outlook Express on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me).
To manually uninstall and then reinstall Outlook Express, the directions are divided into the following seven parts:
- Make all system files and file extensions visible.
- Back up Outlook Express data.
- Uninstall Outlook Express from Windows Me.
- Rename Outlook Express folders.
- Delete the Outlook Express registry keys.
- Rename Outlook Express files.
- Reinstall Outlook Express.
Part 1: Make All System Files and File Extensions Visible
- Double-click the My Computer icon.
- On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
- Under Hidden Files and Folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box.
- Click to clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended) check box, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.
- Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
- Close the My Computer dialog box.
Part 2: Back Up Outlook Express DataBefore you uninstall Outlook Express, it is important to familiarize yourself with the backup and restore procedures for Outlook data. Microsoft recommends that you back up your mail, address book, and other data.
For additional information about backup procedures, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
181084 How to Back Up Your Inbox Assistant Rules in Outlook Express
188093 How to Back Up the Account List in Outlook Express
230208 How to Back Up E-mail Messages in Outlook Express 5
270670 OLEXP: How to Back Up and Recover Outlook Express Data
Part 3: Uninstall Outlook Express from Windows Me
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click the Windows Setup tab.
- Under Components, scroll down until you see Outlook Express listed. Click to clear the Outlook Express check box.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Part 4: Rename Outlook Express Folders
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
- Locate the Stationery folder (Drive Letter:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationary) and rename it old_stationery.
- Locate the Identities folder (Drive Letter:\Windows\Application Data\Identities) and rename it old_identities.
- Delete the files that are located in the Drive Letter:\Program Files\Outlook Express folder.
WARNING: Do not delete the actual Outlook Express folder. Doing so may cause Outlook Express to install to the \Program Files\Outloo~1 folder. Outlook Express will not function if it installs to the Outloo~1 folder, and renaming Outloo~1 to Outlook Express may not work.
Part 5: Delete the Outlook Express Registry KeysImportant This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate the following registry keys, right-click the registry key, and then click Delete:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
- Exit Registry Editor.
Part 6: Rename Outlook Express Files
- Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files and Folders.
- Find and rename the following files:Msoeacct.dll
Part 7: Reinstall Outlook Express
- Click Start, point to Settings and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs, on the Windows Setup tab under Components, scroll down until you see Outlook Express listed. Click to select Outlook Express.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Msoeacct Msoert2 Msoe Msoeres Oeimport Csapi3t1Directdb Wab32 Wab32res dll
Article ID: 278909 - Last Review: 06/19/2014 12:20:00 - Revision: 3.0
- kbhowto KB278909