FIX: Multiple Checkout Setting Disables Checkout Option
This article was previously published under Q279184
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you enable multiple checkouts for each project, and someone checks out the file, the Checkout option is disabled for other users.
To resolve this problem, download Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 from the following Microsoft Web site:
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Right-click the project, and click Checkout.
- Use the command line to check the file out to multiple users.
- Right-click the file, and then click Edit. Under Admin, select the Allow multiple checkouts check box so that multiple users can check out the file.
- Open Srcsafe.ini, and type Multiple_Checkouts = No in the headers of all the projects that the user wants to check out exclusively.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
This bug was corrected in Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
- In Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Admin, on the Tools menu, click Options.
- On the General tab, make sure that the Allow Multiple Checkouts check box is cleared, and then click OK. Exit VSS 6.0 Administrator.
- In Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Explorer, create a project named $/TestChkOut, and then add a file to this project. Close VSS 6.0 Explorer.
- Open the Srcsafe.ini file that corresponds to the VSS database.
- At the end of Srcsafe.ini, add a project header for $/TestChkOut as follows:
- On the line after the project header, type:
Multiple_Checkouts = Yes
- Save and then close Srcsafe.ini.
- In Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Explorer, check out the file in $/TestChkOut.
- On the File menu, click Open SourceSafe database. Type a different user name in the Username text box, and then click Open.
- Right-click the file in $/TestChkOut. Notice that the Checkout option is unavailable (grayed out).
- Click the file in $/TestChkOut. On the SourceSafe menu, notice that the Checkout option is unavailable (grayed out).
For additional information about how to set up multiple checkout for each project, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
HOWTO: Set Up Multiple Check Outs on a Project Basis
Article ID: 279184 - Last Review: 10/21/2013 03:40:08 - Revision: 3.4
- Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbfix kbssafe600fix kbssexplorer kbvs600sp5fix KB279184