You cannot perform a mail merge with a document to an e-mail by using Mail Merge Wizard in Word
This article was previously published under Q279193
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
When you try to perform a mail merge with a document to an e-mail, the Mail Merge Wizard appears to work, but no e-mail messages are created.
This behavior can occur if you use Outlook Express as your default e-mail client, and you select the HTML mail format in the Merge to E-Mail
For more information about using Microsoft Outlook 2002 contacts in a Word mail merge, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to perform a mail merge with an Outlook Contacts list in Word 2002 and in later versions of Word
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Start Word, and then create the document that you want.
- On the Tools menu, point to Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.
- In the Mail Merge pane, click E-mail messages, and then click Next: Starting document.
- Because you already created the document in step 1, click Use the current document, and then click Next: Select recipients.
- Select the recipients that you want to merge with the document, and then click Next: Write your e-mail message.
- Click Next: Preview your e-mail message.
- Edit the recipient list if you want to, and then click Next: Complete the merge.
- Click Electronic Mail. On the Merge to E-mail dialog box, in the Mail format box, select Plain text, and then click OK.
prb WD2002 mail merge mailmerge kbmerge email outlook express olex wd word 2002 WD2003
Article ID: 279193 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 22:44:10 - Revision: 2.2
Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbexpertisebeginner kbmerge kbprb KB279193