"The URL <file name> is invalid" error message when you upload a file to a SharePoint list
When you upload a file to a SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013 list, you receive the following error message:
Note The placeholder <file name> represents the name of the file that you uploaded to the SharePoint list.
The URL <file name> is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
To work around this issue, remove the Version column from the list of Indexed Columns for the list that has this issue. To do this, follow these steps:
- Browse to the list where the issue exists.
- In the ribbon, click the Library tab, and then click Library Settings.
- In the fields list, click Indexed Columns.
- In the Indexed Columns list, click Version.
- Click Delete, and then click OK.
- Upload any files that you previously experienced the issue with.
This issue occurs when the Version column is configured as an Indexed Column.
Still need help? Go to the Office 365 Community website.
Article ID: 2796640 - Last Review: 07/16/2015 16:16:00 - Revision: 7.0
Microsoft SharePoint Online, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013, Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013
- o365 o365e o365p o365a o365m o365022013 KB2796640