The Message "You Must Be an Administrator to Run this Application" Is Displayed While Attempting to Upgrade System
This article was previously published under Q280824
When you attempt to upgrade your system to any of the preceding versions of Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive the following message:
You must be an Administrator to run this application.
You may, however, already be a local administrator or a member of a Power User group.
This behavior may occur if you do not have the necessary system rights or your system rights have been removed by specific policies.
To resolve this behavior (to upgrade or to install Microsoft Windows 2000, or Windows XP), the user must obtain the following system rights:
- Back up files and directories
- Modify firmware environment values
- Restore files and directories
- Shut down the system
Article ID: 280824 - Last Review: 01/25/2006 00:34:07 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbenv kberrmsg kbprb kbsetup KB280824