FIX: SQL Mail 2000 Needs Microsoft Outlook 2000 Client
This article was previously published under Q281293
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
BUG #: 236652 (SHILOH_bugs)
The SQL Mail feature of SQL Server 2000 does not work if Microsoft Outlook 2000 is not installed on the server that functions as the mail client.
If Microsoft Outlook 2000 is not installed on the server that is the mail client and you attempt to use the SQL Mail features of SQL Server 2000, the following symptoms occur on a computer that is running either Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5 (SP5) or Service Pack 6a (SP6a) or Microsoft Windows 2000:
- In the SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager, no profiles are listed in the Profile Name drop-down list. NOTE: You can get to the Profile Name drop-down list by following these steps:
Error 18025 : xp_test_mapi_profile failed with mail error 0x80040106
- Expand the Support Services folder.
- Right-click SQL Mail, and then click Properties.
- In the SQL Server 2000 Query Analyzer, each of the following EXEC statements returns the error message listed underneath the statement:
exec xp_test_mapi_profile <profile_name>Server: Msg 18025, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
xp_test_mapi_profile : failed with mail error 0x80070057
exec xp_get_mapi_default_profileServer: Msg 18025, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
xp_get_mapi_default_profile: failed with mail error 0x80040106
exec xp_get_mapi_profilesServer: Msg 18025, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
xp_get_mapi_profiles: failed with mail error 0x80040106
exec xp_startmailServer: Msg 18024, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
xp_startmail: failed with operating system error 2
The SQL Mail feature of SQL Server 2000 only supports extended MAPI, and needs the client DLLs to be able to work with MAPI in a service.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
290211 INF: How to Obtain the Latest SQL Server 2000 Service Pack
HotfixNOTE: The following hotfix was created prior to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1.
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
Date Version File name ---------------------------------------- 11/10/2000 8.00.0220 SQLMap70.dllNOTE: Due to file dependencies, the most recent hotfix or feature that contains the preceding files may also contain additional files.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft SQL Server 2000. This problem was first corrected in SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1.
The following list describes some supported and unsupported configurations for using the SQL Mail feature of SQL Server 2000:
- SQL Mail 2000 does not and will not work with Windows Messaging.
- SQL Mail 2000 is not supported with Microsoft Outlook 97.
- SQL Mail 2000 works with Microsoft Outlook 98 with the 8.00.0220 SQLMap70.dll. This only applies if Outlook 98 is installed with Microsoft Exchange support (by choosing the Corporate or Email Workgroup Services option), even to connect to a SMTP/POP3 server.
- SQL Mail 2000 works with Outlook 2000.
sqlmail email e-mail emails e-mails message messages msg msgs
Article ID: 281293 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 23:02:35 - Revision: 4.3
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbbug kbfix kbqfe kbsqlserv2000sp1fix kbsqlservmail KB281293