Behavior of stored user names and passwords
This article was previously published under Q281660
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Windows XP introduces a new behavior which makes it easier to access resources that require credentials other than the logged-on user's credentials. This article describes the functionality and expected behavior of Stored User Names and Passwords.
Stored User Names and Passwords is a mechanism that dynamically and manually creates credential sets (a user name and password) for resources. This functionality is available from the graphical user interface (GUI) and from the command line. The types of credentials that you can manage with Stored User Names and Passwords are:
- User names and passwords
- X.509 certificates (smart cards)
- Click Start, click Run, type Control Userpasswords2, and then press ENTER.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Manage Passwords.
- Resources in an untrusted domain
- Resources with alternative credentials
- A Web site with a password
- A Web site with a certificate
- Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup:
In the User Accounts tool, select the logged-on user account.
- Windows XP Professional in a domain:
In the User Accounts tool, on the Advanced tab, click Manage Passwords.
DYNAMIC keys are created in the following way:
- A user attempts to connect to \\server\share.
- The user's logon credentials are attempted. If these do not gain access, Stored User Names and Passwords prompts.
- Credentials are put in Stored User Names and Passwords after it successfully connects, or if Cancel is clicked on a returned error message.
- Remember my password
- Start the Stored User Names and Passwords tool in Control Panel.
- Click Add.
- Type the appropriate information in the boxes:
- Server: Use the hostname, FQDN, wildcards, and so forth.
- User Name: Domain\Username; Machine\Username; UPN.
- Password: Type the password.
- specific resource: server.domain.forest.com
- less specific set of resources: *.domain.forest.com (all resources in domain.forest.com)
- very general set of resources: *.forest.com (all resources in forest.com)
281249 Stored user names and password credentials are stored for the lifetime of the logon session
CredMan Credential Manager Windows Keyring SUN&P credentials
Article ID: 281660 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 23:09:18 - Revision: 4.1
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbinfo KB281660