How to create a PPPoE connection in Windows XP
This article was previously published under Q283070
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This step-by-step article describes how to install the PPPoE client and to create a PPPoE connection.Windows XP includes a built-in PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) client. The PPPoE client connection is a high-speed connection that uses hardware such as a cable modem or a DSL modem.
back to the top
Create a PPPoE client connectionYou can install the PPPoE client just like you install any other dial-up networking connection. To create a PPPoE client connection, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network and Internet Connections.
- Click Network Connections, and then click Create a new connection in the Network Tasks pane.
- After the Network Connection Wizard starts, click Next.
- Click Connect to the Internet, and then click Next.
- Click Set up my connection manually, and then click Next.
- Click either Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password or Connect using a broadband connection that is always on.
- Type the Internet service provider (ISP) name that your ISP provided, and then click Next.
- Type the user name that the ISP provided.
- Type the password that the ISP provided.
- Type the password one more time to confirm it, and then click Next.
- Click Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop.
- Click Finish to complete the wizard.
Article ID: 283070 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 23:26:30 - Revision: 1.4
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbhowtomaster KB283070