How do I clear past items from the Customize Notifications dialog box in Windows XP?
This article was previously published under Q283084
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article helps you clear the Past Items list in the Customize Notifications dialog box that you open when you right-click the notification area in the lower-right corner of your screen in Windows XP.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the “Fix it for me” section. If you’d rather fix this problem yourself, go to the “Let me fix it myself” section.
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problemlink. Then click Runin the File Downloaddialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.
Fix it for me
Note this wizard may be in English only; however, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
NoteIf you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or a CD so that you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
To check whether this resolved the problem, go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Let me fix it myself
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:
- Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify
- Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process.
- In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.
Did this fix the problem?
- To verify that the fix worked, restart your computer. If there are no past items shown in the Customize Notification dialog box, the problem is fixed, and you are finished with this article.
- If the problem is not resolved, you can also contact support.
fixit fix it LB_9643521
Article ID: 283084 - Last Review: 12/05/2015 23:27:26 - Revision: 7.0
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- kbnosurvey kbarchive kbmsifixme kbfixme kbenv kbhowto KB283084