Consider the following scenario:
- You are running Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials.
- Remote Web Access (RWA) has been turned on.
- The Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials Connector software has been installed on a client PC.
- You are connected to Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials via the Remote Web Access website. For example: https://<server name>/connect or https://<Server IP address>/connect.
In this scenario, you may notice that the web page that is displayed for the logged on remote user may be corrupt or has incorrect entries listed.
This behavior is due to corruption of the user's Remote Access XML file.
To resolve this issue, follow the steps below on the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials server:
- Log onto the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 server using an administrator's account.
- Open Windows Explorer and from the menu select Tools->Folder options. On the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". Also unselect "Hide extensions for known file types". After doing so, select OK to save the changes.
- From Windows Explorer, locate the following folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\SettingsProviderData\RemoteAccess\UserProfile.
- Find the file index.xml, right-click on it and select Edit to open it in Notepad.
- Search for the user name that is experiencing problems with the Remote Access web page. Below the user name will be a string value associated with the user name. Write down this string value as it will be needed later. An example would be:
- Close Notepad and be sure not to make any changes to the Index.xml file.
- Within the same folder as index.xml, locate the XML with the string value identified in step 5 and rename the file extension from *.xml to *.old. Using the example in step 5, the file would be named: fd8dc0f0-d7bd-45eb-b8ce-5b9a80e7da37.xml.
- On the client PC that is still connected to the Remote Web Access page, log off and back on to the website.
Once these steps have been completed, a new Remote Access XML file will be created for the user.NOTE:
If the user has made any customizations for their Remote Web Access page, those settings will be lost and will need to be reconfigured. In addition, if the server Dashboard consistently shows the client PC status as being Offline, you may need to uninstall and re-install the Connector software on the client PC.
How do I connect computers to the server?http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/computer-network-connection-3.aspx
For more information on Remote Web Access in Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, access the following Microsoft TechNet link:
What is Remote Web Access?http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/remote-access-support-3.aspx
for other considerations.
Article ID: 2844050 - Last Review: May 1, 2013 - Revision: 7.0
- Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials
- Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials